Yellow crystals or powder.
Chemical intermediate for vat dyes, acid dyes, mordant dyes, disperse dyes, solvent dyes, & for pigments. Bird repellent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 22 36/37
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
165 - 169
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
7E-6 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.419 - 1.438 g/cm3 (4-Apr C)
Solubility in water
0.51 cp (305 C)
23.76 g/s2 (302.9 C)
1.57 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container.
Strong oxidizing agents, carbon dioxide.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
This chemical is combustible.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
Muscular seizures are a rare sign of severe intoxication. Dizziness is occasionally seen in severe intoxications. CNS depression was seen in animals tested with injections of emodin. Analgesia was also noted with injection. These effects have not been noted in human overdose.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
Causes eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.