- Antimony(III) chloride
- Butter of antimony
Antimony trichloride is a colorless crystalline solid. It is shipped as a solid or liquid solution.
As reagent for chloral, aromatic hydrocarbons, and vitamin a, for mol wt determinations, in chemical microscopy for the identification of drugs (forms adducts & addition compound), commercially as a mordant, in organic syntheses, as catalyst, bronzing iron, especially gun barrels, mordant for patent leather and in dyeing, coloring zinc black, manufacturing lakes, particularly from dye woods, furniture polishes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 34 51/53
S 26 45 61
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5.4 (88 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
2.511 g/cm3 (148.5 C)
Solubility in water
1.66 cp (110 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Keep away from metals. Corrosives area. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Use water spray to reduce vapors or divert vapor cloud drift.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Imcompatible with aluminum, potassium and sodium, perchloric acid.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, antimony/antimony oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. May react with metals and lead to the formation of flammable hydrogen gas. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Substance may react with water, and may release corrosive and/or toxic gases. Containers may explode when heated. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, dry sand, or alcohol-resistant foam. Most foams will react with the material and release corrosive/toxic gases.
Vapors may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars, etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
TLV (as Sb): ppm; 0.5 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1994-1995).
Chronic exposure may cause liver damage.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause liver damage.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum if inhaled in excessive quantities. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin burns. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts.
May result in corneal injury. Contact with liquid is corrosive to the eyes and causes severe burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2827 39 80
Std. Transport #