- Arsenic tribromide
- Arsenic(III) bromide
A yellowish white crystalline solid.
Analytical chemistry, medicine.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
109 (20 torr)
Solubility in water
0.0168 cp (100 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a dry area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Reacts as acid to neutralize bases.
Hydrobromic acid, arsenic acid.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Arsenic tribromide itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
TLV (as As): ppm; 0.01 mg/m3 A1 (ACGIH 1997). MAK: class III A1 (1997).
O, G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Chronic exposure to arsenical dust may cause breath shortness, nausea, chest pains, and garlic odor.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause excessive salivation, gastroenteritis, tremors, convulsions, muscular weakness, and possible death.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
Std. Transport #