Basic nickel(II) carbonate
- Nickel carbonate hydroxide
Green, crystalline powder.
Nickel plating, catalyst for hardening of fats, in ceramic colors and glazes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
2.6 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
If workplace exposure limit(s) of product or any component is exceeded (see exposure guidelines), a NIOSH/MSHA approved air supplied respirator is advised in absence of proper environmental control. OSHA regulations also permit other NIOSH/MSHA respirators (negative pressure type) under specified conditions (see your industrial hygienist).
Small Spill - Cover with soda ash. Mix and scoop into a beaker of water. Large Spill - Collect and add slowly to large volume of water.
Strong alkalies, strong mineral acids.
Extinguish fire using water fog. Water may be used to extinguish fire by cooling, and diluting liquid with water.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released in a fire involving nickel.
IDHL: NIOSH considers nickel metal and other compounds (as Ni) to be a potential
G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways), central nervous system depression (dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, fatigue, nausea, headache, unconsciousness), and death.
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
This material is a dust or may produce dust.
May cause mild skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated contact may dry the skin. Symptoms may include redness, burning, drying and cracking of skin, and skin burns.
Can cause eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, redness, and swelling of eyes.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Seek immediate medical attention; keep person warm and quiet. If person is not breathing, begin artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen.
Remove contaminated clothing. Flush exposed area with large amounts of water. If skin is damaged, seek immediate medical attention. If skin is not damaged and symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.