Benzene phosphorus thiodichloride
- Phenyl phosphorus thiodichloride
- Dichloro(phenyl)phosphine sulfide
Colorless liquid with unpleasant acrid pungent odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.011 (25 C)
1.4042 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
2.78 cp (20 C)
1.6267 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry location, Keep containers tightly closed. Store only with compatible materials.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Respiratory protection (supplied-air respirator with full facepiece or self-contained breathing apparatus) should be available where these compounds are manufactured or used and should be worn in case of emergency and overexposure.
Fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Use water spray to reduce vapors; do not put water directly on leak, spill area or inside container. Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.) away from spilled material. SMALL SPILLS: Cover with DRY earth, DRY sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading or contact with rain. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect material and place it into loosley covered plastic containers for later disposal. Prevent entry into waterways, sewers, basements or confined areas.
Decomposed by moisture.
Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, alcohols, amines, alkali May react vigorously or explosively
Produces toxic and corrosive fumes.
When material is not involved in fire: do not use water on material itself. SMALL FIRES: Dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. LARGE FIRES: Flood fire area with large quantities of water, while knocking down vapors with water fog. If insufficient water supply: knock down vapors only. FIRE INVOLVING TANKS OR CAR/TRAILER LOADS: Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. Do not get water inside containers. Withdraw immediately in case of rising sound from venting safety devices or discoloration of tank. ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases. Flammable/toxic gases may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars, etc.)Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Toxic fumes include oxides of phosphorus and sulfur and hydrogen chloride.
Reduced body temperature or elevated body temperature may occur. Low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure may develop after moderate to severe poisoning. Rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and changes in respiratory rate may also occur. Early giddiness, anxiety headache, and restlessness followed by ataxia, drowsiness, and confusion are common with moderate to severe exposures. Sporadic reports of human birth defects related to organophosphates have not been fully verified.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea are common muscarinic effects. Both painless and frank clinical pancreatitis have been reported.
Increased bronchial secretions, bronchospasm and dyspnea occur in moderate to severe exposures. Respiratory failure and non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema may occur with severe poisonings. Acute respiratory insufficiency is the main cause of death in acute poisonings. The hydrocarbon vehicle may cause chemical pneumonitis.
Profuse sweating is common. Pallor may be noted. Dermal sensitization has been reported.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, and blurred vision are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur. Salivation commonly occurs.
Seek medical assistance.
Remove to fresh air.
Flush with water; wash with soap and water.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. Patients symptomatic following exposure should be observed in a controlled setting until all signs and symptoms have fully resolved. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #