Yellow, odorless powder.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
1.9 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry location in a tightly sealed container.
Protective gear suitable to prevent contamination. Implement engineering and work practice controls to reduce and maintain concentration of exposure at low levels. Use good housekeeping and sanitation practices. Do not use tobacco or food in work area. Wash thoroughly before eating and smoking. Do not blow dust off clothing with compressed air.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
ELIMINATE all ignition sources. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Stable at normal temperatures and presures.
Methane and oxides of beryllium.
Use: Class D or other metal extinguishing agent. Do Not Use: Water or carbon dioxide extinguisher. Wear full face, and self-contained breathing apparatus with full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes. Fumes from fire are hazardous. Isolate runoff to prevent environmental pollution.
Dangerous when wet, evolves highly toxic fumes of oxides of beryllium and flammable methane gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
0.2 µg/m3 TLVC
G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Considered to have low toxicity by ingestion. Poison by intravenous route.
ay cause irritation to the upper respiratory tract, pneumonitis, nasopharyngitis, lung fibrosis, dyspnea, weight loss, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi.
May cause irritation, contact dermatitis and non-healing ulcerations at the site of injury.
May cause irritation, conjunctivitis and corneal burns.
If conscious, give 1-2 glasses of milk or water and induce vomiting, seek medical attention. Never give anything by mouth or induce vomiting on an unconscious person.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.