- Bismuth trisulfate
- Bismuth sesquisulfate
- Sulfuric acid, bismuth(3+) salt (3:2)
- Dibismuth tris(sulfate)
white needles or powder
Substance is used in analysis of other metallic sulfates.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Hazards and Protection.
Store in tightly closed containers in a cool, dry place.
Safety goggles, neoprene gloves and protective clothing.
Wear a NIOSH-approved dust respirator.
Sweep into suitable container for disposal.
Bismuth compounds and its salts can cause kidney damage. Although the degree of such damage is usually mild. Large doses can be fatal. Industrially it is considered one of the less toxic of the heavy metals, although intoxication has occurred from its use in medicine. The similarity between the pharmacologic and toxic behavior of Pb and Bi has been pointed out in the literature. Like Pb, Bi may be liberated from tissue deposits during periods of acidosis. Serious and sometimes fatal poisoning may occur from the injection of large doses into closed cavities and from extensive application to burns. Death of animals from bismuth nephritis following injection of soluble salts occurs within several hours to 24 days, the time being generally inversely proportional to the dose, and it appears to be in the order of 5 - 10 times higher than the dose by slow intravenous injection for rabbits. It is stated that the administration of Bi should be stopped when gingivitis appears, for otherwise serious ulcerative stomatitis is likely to result. Other toxic results may develop, such as malaise, albuminuria, diarrhea, skin reactions and sometimes serious exodermatitis. Industrial Bi poisoning has not been reported although bismuth absorbed in industrial cases may complicate the diagnosis of plumbism, since the dark line in the gums, which is often present in lead poisoning, is also produced by bismuth. All Bi compounds do not have equal toxicity.
If within 15 minutes after occurrence, make patient drink 1 or 2 glasses of water. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.
Remove victim to fresh air & allow to rest. Consult a physician.
Rinse with copious amounts of water and soap for 15 minutes.
Rinse, lifting upper and lower lids, with cool water for at least 15 minutes. Consult a physician.