Bismuth(III) nitrate pentahydrate
- Nitric acid bismuth(III) salt
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid prolonged or repeated contact with skin. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Do not store near combustible materials. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Reducing agents, moisture.
Nitrogen oxides, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam. Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause kidney injury. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. Ingestion of nitrate containing compounds can lead to methemoglobinemia. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Causes eye irritation. May cause conjunctivitis. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.