A colorless gas with a pungent odor.
Manufacture and purification of boron, catalyst for organic reactions, in semiconductors, in bonding of iron, steels, in purification of metal alloys to remove oxides, nitrides, and carbides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Reacts violently with water; Very toxic; Corrosive
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1180 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 1 ppm
1.876 g/cm3 (-192 C)
Solubility in water
1.04 cp (10 C)
1.00139 (0 C)
2.3 (23 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
0.0016868 - 0.0017073/K
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store at room temperature.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
A shower and eye bath should be conveniently located in case of emergency.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Do not use water on material itself. Neutralize spilled material with crushed limestone, soda ash, or lime.
Attacks elastomers and packing materials Corrosive to most metals in the presence of moisture Reacts energetically with nitrogen dioxide/dinitrogen tetraoxide, aniline, phosphine, triethylsilane, or fat and grease Reacts exothermically with chemical bases (examples: amines, amides, inorganic hydroxides).
When heated to decomposition, emits fumes of chlorides. Decomposition by water or alcohol the toxic action of the halogenated borons is considerably influenced by their decomposition products (hydrofluoric acid-, fluoboric acid-, hydrochloric acid-).
It is not flammable. Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or dry sand to extinguish. If large quantities of combustibles are involved, use water in flooding quantities as spray and fog. Use water spray to absorb vapors. For large fires use water spray, fog, or foam. Do not get water on material itself. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Do not get water inside container. Move container from fire area if you can do so without risk. Stay away from ends of tanks. Spray cooling water on containers that are exposed to flames until well after fire is out. Isolate area until gas has dispersed.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of chlorides. It will react with water or steam to produce heat, and toxic and corrosive fumes. In hot water, decomposes to hydrochloric acid and boric acid. Fumes and hydrolyzes in moist air to form hydrochloric acid and oily, irritating corrosives. Avoid aniline, hexafluorisopropylidene amino lithium, nitrogen dioxide, phosphine, grease, organic matter, and oxygen. Nitrogen peroxide, phosphine, fat or grease react energetically with boron trichloride. Oxygen and boron trichloride react vigorously on sparking. Boron trichloride and aniline react violently in the absence of a coolant or diluent. Stable.
When heated to decomp, emits toxic fumes of chlorides.
Abnormally low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and reduced body temperature may occur. No data were available to assess the teratogenic potential of this agent. <br>No data were available to assess the potential effects of exposure to this agent during pregnancy or lactation. <br>No information about possible male reproductive effects was found in available references.
Retching, vomiting, diarrhea, esophageal or gastric burns, mucosal necrosis, and late stricture formation may be seen following ingestion. Gastrointestinal bleeding may occur.
Vapors and thermal decomposition products are quite irritating to the mucosa of the respiratory tract. Chemical pneumonitis, bronchitis, or noncardiogenic pulmonary edema may develop following inhalation exposure.
Direct contact with boron trichloride can result in severe dermal acid burns.
Significant eye and upper respiratory tract irritation may occur. Serious burns of the cornea and mouth may be seen.
Do not induce vomiting - following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child).
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing, wash exposed area with copious amounts of water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Treat dermal irritation or burns with standard topical therapy. Patients developing dermal hypersensitivity reactions may require treatment with systemic or topical corticosteroids or antihistamines.
In case of contact with liquefied gas, thaw frosted parts with lukewarm water Immediately flush skin with running water for at least 20 minutes.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #