- Sha 112301
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5E-8 (25 C)
1.0695 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
23 ppm (24 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store near heat or open flame.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Rubber gloves, respirator, boots, long sleeved shirt or jacket, long pants.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Indefinitely Not sensitive to light or heat.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
CNS excitation, seizures, tremor, ataxia, agitation, nervousness, and amnesia may occur. Kelthane, perthane, methoxychlor, and hexachlorobenzene have little CNS toxicity; in extreme overdose CNS depression may occur. Organochlorine pesticides such as DDT pass through the placenta, with an average level in the newborn blood reaching around a third of that in maternal blood. They can also be found in breast milk. Excessive absorption of kepone (chlordecone) has depressed sperm counts and sperm motility in exposed workers.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may follow ingestion.
Aspiration of insecticide containing petroleum distillate may result in pneumonitis.
Extensive contact results in dermal irritation.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin and hair thoroughly; do two soap and water washings. Leather absorbs pesticides. Hence, leather should not be worn in the presence of pesticides and all contaminated leather should be discarded.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.