Colorless liquid. Vinous odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
flammable, harmful, irritant
R 10 22 37/38 41 67
S 7/9 13 26 37/39 45
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
50 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.398 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
77 g/L (20 C)
0.022 cp (23 C)
1.3991 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Aluminum, chromium trioxide, oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acrid smoke and fumes.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Use of water spray when fighting fire may be inefficient. Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. Do not use dry chemical extinguishers to control fires involving nitromethane or nitroethane.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high concentration. May cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and central nervous system depression. May cause nausea, dizziness, and headache.
Causes severe skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis. May be absorbed through damaged or abraded skin in harmful amounts.
Causes severe eye irritation. Produces irritation, characterized by a burning sensation, redness, tearing, inflammation, and possible corneal injury. May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Induce vomiting by giving one teaspoon of Syrup of Ipecac.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.