- n-Propylcarbinyl chloride
Colorless liq. Unpleasant.
Solvent, intermediate in synthesis of alkylated anilines.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 9 16 29
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
80 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 3.3352 mg/m3
0.8862 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
< 1 mg/ml
0.0045 p @ 20C
1.40223 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Wear a self contained breathing apparatus and appropriate Personal protection. (See Exposure Controls, Personal Protection section). Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, alkali metals, alkalies.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Water may be ineffective. Water may spread fire. If water is the only media available, use in flooding amounts.
Flammable, dangerous fire risk.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
May produce phosgene gas in fire
May cause effects on the nervous system.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause central nervous system depression.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. May cause respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.