Butyl cyclohexyl phthalate
- Cyclohexyl butyl phthalate
Clear brown slightly viscous liquid with a very mild odor.
Plasticizer for polymers & elastomers, nitrocellulose lacquers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
189-222 (5 torr)
1.078 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Use of garments to protect workmen from irritation due to contact with phthalic anhydride which is used in the manufacturing process of phthalic acid esters; the use of gloves to prevent contamination of the hand and lower arm.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
If you spill this chemical, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with alcohol followed by washing with a strong soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products.
Fires involving this compound should be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This chemical is probably combustible.
Symptoms of exposure to this compound may include irritation of the eyes, nose and mucous membranes.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.