- Butyl cis-9-octadecenoate
Clear liquid with a faty odor.
Plasticizer, particularly for pvc, solvent, lubricant, water-resisting agent, coating compositions, polishes, water-proofing compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4E-7 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.87 - 0.88 g/cm3
Solubility in water
9.75 cp (20 C)
31.3 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4472 (25 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location in a tightly sealed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
If overexposure has been determined or documented, a NIOSH/MSHA jointly approved air supplied respirator is advised in absence of proper environmental control. OSHA regulations also permit other NIOSH/MSHA respirators under specified conditions.
Small Spill - Absorb liquid on vermiculite, floor absorbent, or other absorbent material and transfer to hood. Large Spill - Eliminate all ignition sources. Pump or vacuum transfer spilled product to clean containers for recovery. Absorb unrecoverable product. Transfer contaminated absorbent, soil and other materials to containers for disposal
Strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of carbon, various hydrocarbons.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Signs and symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways).
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
Breathing of vapor or mist is possible.
Can cause skin irritation. Symptoms may include redness and burning of skin, and other skin damage.
May cause mild eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, and redness.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.