- Butyl aldehyde
A clear liquid with a pungent, suffocating, nutty odor.
Chiefly in the production of rubber accelerators, synthetic resins, solvents, plasticizers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 9 29 33
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
111 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.0046 ppm
0.803 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.0043 p @ 20C
29.9 g/s2 @ 24 C
1.379 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Keep under an argon blanket. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Keep away from acids. Do not store near alkaline substances. Keep away from strong bases. After opening, purge container with nitrogen before reclosing. Periodically test for peroxide formation on long-term storage. Addition of water or appropriate reducing materials will lessen peroxide formation.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. If peroxide formation is suspected, do not open or move container. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Peroxide formation may occur in containers that have been opened and remain in storage.
Oxidizing agents, strong bases, strong reducing agents, and strong acids. Reacts vigorously with chlorosulfonic acid, nitric acid, oleum, and sulfuric acid.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. May form explosive peroxides. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam.
Extreme - combustion imminent. Very flammable.
Vapors are heavier than air and may travel considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back. Fires are difficult to control due to ease of reignition.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated inhalation may cause nasal and tracheal inflammation.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause central nervous system depression.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Exposure produces central nervous system depression. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause an allergic response. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
Causes eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).