C.I. Pigment Red 104
- Chrome vermilion
- Mineral fire red 5dds
- Molybdenum orange
- Molybdenum red
- Lead chromate molybdate sulfate red
Fine dark orange or light red powder.
Pigment in paints, printing inks, plastics, paper, rubber, textile printing.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic for reproduction Category 1; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Any self contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure demand or other positive pressure mode or any supplied air respirator with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure demand or other positive pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self contained breathing apparatus operated in pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
OSHA: PEL (8 h TWA): 15 mg/m3.
G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Chronic lead exposure may cause elevated blood pressure and gout. In young children, developmental defects, including learning disabilities and behavioral abnormalities, can occur without symptoms at blood lead levels above 10 micrograms/deciliter. At higher levels of exposure headache, fatigue, irritability and malaise may occur. At high levels, encephalopathy, seizures and focal neurologic findings with imminent risk of death, permanent mental retardation, and motor deficits may occur. Lead is transferred across the placenta. It can affect reproduction in males and females, and affects neurodevelopmental milestones in children with both prenatal and postnatal exposure.
Chronic lead exposure: abdominal pain, nausea, anorexia, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, and a metallic taste in the mouth have been reported with chronic toxicity. Severe and paroxysmal colic characterized by a rigid and retracted abdomen may occur.
Pulmonary edema, pneumoconiosis, metal fume fever, and bronchial asthma may occur.
Deep perforating ulcers and hypersensitivity dermatitis may be noted. Systemic toxicity has resulted from minimal dermal exposure.
Oral burns and severe corneal injury may result from acute exposure. Chronic inhalation produces deep perforating nasal ulcers (chrome holes).
Acute exposure - activated charcoal: administer charcoal as a slurry (240 ml water/30 g charcoal). Usual dose: 25 to 100 g in adults/adolescents. Consider gastric lavage in patients with recent ingestion of liquid or powdered products.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Wash the exposed area with water or 10 to 20 percent ascorbic acid solution for 15 minutes. Consult a physician if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.