Cadmium nitrate tetrahydrate
- Nitric acid cadmium salt tetrahydrate
Odorless, white solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9.3 (20 C)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions.
Reducing agents, phosphorus, copper, copper alloys, and organic materials.
Nitrogen oxides, toxic cadmium oxide fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH: Potential Occupational Carcinogen
O, G-A2, I-1, N-1, CP65
May cause respiratory tract cancer. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause permanent bone structure abnormalities. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause anemia and other blood cell abnormalities. Chronic inhalation may cause pulmonary emphysema.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause unconsciousness.
Effects may be delayed. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause dyspnea (difficult breathing from shortness of breath). May cause anemia. May cause cough, chest pain, fever, muscular cramps, and headache.
Causes severe skin irritation. Chronic inhalation may cause pulmonary emphysema.
Causes eye irritation.
Induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code