- Cadmium monosulfide
Light-yellow or orange-colored cubic or hexagonal crystals.
Cadmium sulfide provides stability against oxidation and uv radiation in hdpe processing.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9 (1000 C)
Solubility in water
1.3 mg/L (20 C)
5.7E-6/K (25 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not store in metal containers. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids - strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of sulfur, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Flammable when exposed to flame or by spontaneous chem reaction. Many sulfides ignite easily in air at room temperature. Others require a higher temperature or the presence of an oxidizer.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as Cd): ppm; 0.01 mg/m3 A2 (ACGIH 1996). MAK: class III A2 (1996).
O, G-A2, I-1, N-1, CP65
Cadmium and compounds may cause lung, liver and kidney damage and lung and prostrate cancer in humans. May cause lung damage. Chronic exposure may cause blood effects. May cause kidney damage.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause kidney damage. Ingestion may result in a decomposition to hydrogen sulfide in the stomach with systemic poisoning. May cause worsening of asthma in asthmatics. Individuals sensitive to sulfides may experience stomach upset, chest tightness or wheezing.
Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. May cause lung damage. Olfactory fatigue may occur. May cause salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, and labored breathing. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
May cause skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code