- Citric acid, calcium salt
- 1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-, calcium salt
C6H8O7 . xCa
White, fine crystalline powder.
Dietary supplement food additive tetrahydrate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location in a sealed container.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
If overexposure has been determined or documented, a NIOSH/MSHA approved dust/mist and fume respirator is advised in the absence of proper environmental control.
Sweep up or shovel into a container for disposal. Avoid dust generation.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of carbon, various hydrocarbons.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Signs and symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways).
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
This material is a dust or may produce dust.
Can cause skin irritation. Symptoms may include redness and burning of skin, and other skin damage.
May cause mild eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, and redness.
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
Foreign materials spilled on the skin may not represent a toxic or irritation hazard in small quantities, but may produce adverse effects if applied in large quantities or if used over a significant period of time. Whenever possible, foreign materials should be removed from the skin with simple washing. Should skin irritation or erythema occur, a patient may wish to seek medical assistance.
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.