- Calcium hypochlorite, hydrated mixture, with not less than 5.5% but not more than 10% water
White powder or flat plates. Strong chlorine odor.
Algicide, bactericide, deodorant, fungicide, in sugar refining, oxidizing agent, bleaching agent, disinfectant.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Oxidising; Harmful; Contact with acids liberates toxic gas; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 8 31 34 50
S 26 36/37/39 45 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Do not store near combustible materials. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not ingest or inhale. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Reducing agents, carbontetrachloride, ammonia, alliphatic amines, aromatic amines, sulfur, sulfides (inorganic, e.g. ferric sulfide, lead sulfide, sodium sulfide), metal oxides, glycerol, phenols, diethylene glycol monomethyl ether, carbon, acetic acid + potassium, cyanides (e.g. potassium cyanide, sodium cyanide), ammonium chloride, charcoal, N,N-dichloromethylamine + heat, ethanol, menthol, iron oxide, rust, 1-propanethiol, isobutanethiol, turpentine, sodium hydrogen sulfate + starch + sodium carbonate, acetylene, hydroxy compounds (e.g. ethanol, ethylene glycol, gycerol, sugar), combustible materials (e.g. anthracene, grease, oil, mercaptans, methyl carbitol, nitromethane, organic matter, and propylmercaptan).
Hydrogen chloride, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxygen, chlorine.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Contaminating or mixing with foreign materials such as combustibles, grease, and fuels can cause fire. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For small fires DO NOT use dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, halon or foams. USE WATER ONLY. For large fires, flood fire area with water from a distance.
Slightly flammable. But evolves chlorine and at higher temperatures, oxygen.
Poisonous gases may be produced when heated
Poisonous gases may be produced when heated.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Prolonged or repeated eye contact may cause conjunctivitis. Effects may be delayed. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. Causes corrosive action on the mucous membranes.
Causes severe burns with delayed tissue destruction.
Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury. May cause blepharitis (inflammation of the margins of the eyelids).
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).