Calcium nitrate trihydrate
- Calcium nitrate 3-hydrate
odorless white to pale yellow solid
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Nitrogen oxides, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Some oxidizers may react explosively with hydrocarbons(fuel). Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For small fires DO NOT use dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, halon or foams. USE WATER ONLY. For large fires, flood fire area with water from a distance.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. Ingestion of nitrate containing compounds can lead to methemoglobinemia.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown blood.
May cause skin irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
May cause eye irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.