- Calcium, metal and alloys, pyrophoric
- Calcium alloys, pyrophoric
Soft silver-white crystalline alkaline-earth metal.
As industrial catalyst for polyester fibers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 8 24/25 43
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
Heat of fusion
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Do not expose to air. Store protected from moisture. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Do not expose spill to water. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Combines vigorously or explosively with water. May ignite spontaneously if exposed to air or kept in the presence of moisture.
Acids, oxidizing agents, carbonates, dinitrogen tetraoxide, halogens, sulfur, chlorine, chlorine trifluoride, fluorine, air, moisture, water, water and mixtures containing water (e.g. aqueous solutions, water).
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, hydrogen gas, calcium oxide, calcium hydroxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. This chemical poses an explosion hazard. Reacts with water to form explosive hydrogen gas. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. DO NOT USE WATER OR FOAM. For small fires use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. For large fires use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Produce flammable gases on contact with water. May ignite on contact with water or moist air. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Some are transported in highly flammable liquids. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fumes from burning calcium are highly irritating to skin, eyes and mucous membranes.
Chronic ingestion of calcium carbonate may cause irritability, lethargy, stupor, and coma, depending on the amount and duration of ingestion. These symptoms are secondary to hypercalcemia, alkalosis, and renal impairment. Chronic ingestion of calcium carbonate in doses 4 to 60 g/day for 2 to 30 days has resulted in these symptoms; however, at doses less than 10 g/day, pre-existing factors such as renal dysfunction, concurrent thiazide therapy, volume depletion, or hyperparathyroidism were usually present in patients developing these sequelae.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist.
Causes eye irritation and possible burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
USCG CHRIS Code
2805 12 00
Std. Transport #