- Calcium disilicide
Steel gray to white metal powder.
Used as a deoxidizer and degasser for steel and cast-iron.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Decomposition point, °C
802 - 1068
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Water free area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water.
Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of silicon.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. Extinguishing media: DO NOT USE WATER! Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For large fires use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw from area and let fire burn. For small fires, use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or dry sand.
Produce flammable gases on contact with water.
Produce flammable gases on contact with water. May ignite on contact with water or moist air. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Some are transported in highly flammable liquids. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.