Calcium sulfate dihydrate
White or nearly white, odorless crystals. Some forms of calcium sulfate have a fibrous appearance.
Used to make Portland cement, Plaster of Paris and artificial marble; used in agriculture as a soil conditioner; used as a white pigment, filler or glaze in paints, enamels, pharmaceuticals, paper, insecticide dusts, yeast manufacture and polishing powders; in manufacture of sulfuric acid, calcium carbide and ammonium sulfate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 22 24/25
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
CaO4S . 2H2O
2.32 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
4,98 (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use.
Does not meet criteria
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Reduce airborne dust and prevent scattering by moistening with water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents and moisture.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, calcium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
F (Not subject to toxicity classification)
May cause cancer according to animal studies. Repeated inhalation may cause nasal and tracheal inflammation. Chronic inhalation may lead to decreased pulmonary function.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation.
Causes respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2833 29 90