- Octanoyl peroxide
- Di-n-octanoyl peroxide
- Dioctanoyl peroxide
- Perkadox SE 8
- Peroyl O
Straw-colored liquid; sharp odor.
Initiator for suspension or mass polymerization of vinyl chloride monomers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
0.9275 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4363 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
ELIMINATE all ignition sources (no smoking, flares, sparks or flames in immediate area). Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.) away from spilled material. Do not touch or walk through spilled material. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. SMALL SPILLS: Take up with inert, damp, noncombustible material using clean non-sparking tools and place into loosely covered plastic containers for later disposal.
Organic compounds can ignite on contact with concentrated peroxides, strongly reduced material such as sulfides, nitrides, and hydrides
The temperature of the substance must be maintained at or below the Control Temperature at all times. SMALL FIRES: Water spray or fog is preferred; if water not available use dry chemical, carbon dioxide or regular foam. LARGE FIRES: Flood fire area with water from a distance. Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Do not move cargo or vehicle if cargo has been exposed to heat. Fight fire from maximum distance or use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. BEWARE OF POSSIBLE CONTAINER EXPLOSION. ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire. For massive fire, use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn.
May explode from heat, contamination or loss of temperature control. Particularly sensitive to temperature rises.
Sensitive to temperature rises. Above a given Control Temperature they decompose violently and catch fire. May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). May ignite spontaneously if exposed to air. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Burns of the esophagus and less commonly the stomach may occur after caustic ingestion; the absence of oral mucosal injury does not reliably exclude esophageal burns. Patients with stridor, drooling or vomiting are more likely to have esophageal burns.
Stridor, dyspnea, upper airway injury, and pulmonary edema, especially following inhalation of vaporized caustics, may occur.
Severe skin irritation and/or burns may occur.
Mucosal if no respiratory compromise is present, dilute immediately with milk or water; no more than 8 ounces in adults and 4 ounces in children. Gastric ipecac contraindicated. Consider insertion of a small, flexible nasogastric or orogastric tube to suction gastric contents after recent large ingestions; the risk of further mucosal injury must be weighed against potential benefits.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothes. Irrigate exposed skin with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes or longer, depending on concentration, amount and duration of exposure to the chemical. A physician may need to examine the area if irritation or pain persist.
Home irrigation - exposed eyes should be irrigated with copious amounts of water for at least 30 minutes. An examination should always be performed. Ophthalmologic consultation should be obtained. Medical facility: irrigate with sterile 0.9% Saline for at least an hour or until the cul-de-sacs are free of particulate matter and returned to neutrality (confirm with pH paper).