- Carbon bisulfide
- Carbon sulfide
Commercial carbon disulfide has a yellow color and a strong disagreeable odor, like decaying cabbage. Pure carbon disulfide is a clear, colorless liquid with a sweet, pleasing, ethereal odor.
Manufacture of rayon, carbon tetrachloride, xanthogenates, soil disinfectants, electronic vacuum tubes, solvent for phosphorus, sulfur, selenium, bromine, iodine, fats, resins, & rubbers fumigant insecticide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Toxic; Irritant
R 11 36/38 48/23 62 63
S 16 33 36/37 45
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
360 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
39.15% (391510 ppm) at 20 C; 47.24% (472400 ppm) at 25 C (calculated)
1.8 (diethyl ether = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.1 To 0.2 ppm
1.2632 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.51 cp (-13 C)
32.25 g/s2 at 20 C
1.63189 (20 C)
2.6 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
B2 D1B D2A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Alkali metals, aluminum, azides, cesium azide, chlorine and other halogens, chlorine monoxide, chromic anhydride, ethylene diamine, ethyleneimine, fluorine, lead azide, lead perchlorate, lithium azide, mercury fulminate, nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide, nitrogen oxide, perchloric acid, permanganates + sulfuric acid, potassium, potassium azide, rubidium azide, sodium azide, zinc. Substance reacts exothermically with phenyl copper-triphenylphosphine complexes.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Extremely flammable. Material will readily ignite at room temperature. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Very flammable. Can be ignited by hot steam pipes. Vapors sink to the ground.
Ignition temperature dangerously low: 212F. Vapors may be ignited by contact with ordinary light bulb, when heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes of oxides of sulfur. When heated to decomposition, emits highly toxic fumes of sulfur oxides and can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. Avoid air, rust, halogens, metal azides, metals, oxidants; when exposed to heat or flame reacts violently with aluminum, chlorine, azides, hypochlorite, ethylamine diamine, ethylene imine, fluorine, metallic azides of lithium, potassium, cesium, rubidium and sodium, nitrogen oxides, potassium, zinc and (sulfuric acid plus permanganate). Decomposes on standing for a long time.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire involving carbon disulfide.
TLV: 10 ppm; 31 mg/m3 as TWA (skin) (ACGIH 1992-1993). OSHA PEL: TWA 20 ppm C 30 ppm 100 ppm (30-minute maximum peak) NIOSH REL: TWA 1 ppm (3 mg/m3) ST 10 ppm (30 mg/m3) skin NIOSH IDLH: 500 ppm
Chronic ingestion may cause liver damage. Prolonged or repeated exposure can cause psychic abnormalities such as anxiety, depression and excitability. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Chronic exposure may cause visual disturbances. Repeated exposure may cause central and peripheral nervous system damage and digestive tract disturbances. Chronic exposure may cause coronary heart disease.
May cause digestive tract disturbances. May cause effects similar to those for inhalation exposure. Can cause nervous system damage. Ingestion may cause convulsions, seizures and possible coma.
May cause liver and kidney damage. Intoxication can involve all parts of the central and peripheral nervous systems including damage to the nerves with paresthesias, muscle weakness, unsteady gait, tremors, Exposure may accelerate the development or worsen, coronary heart disease.
Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis. Dermatitis and vesiculation may result from skin contact with the vapor or liquid. Chronic exposure may result in sensitization.
May cause severe eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.