Colorless liquid with an sweet, chloroform-like odor.
Cancelled, all products. Criteria of concern, oncogenicity, toxic effect on liver and kidneys. Reference: 51 fr 4104 nov 12, 1986. Fifra sec. 3 Registration cancelled for nonpayment of 1989 maintenance fee, october 12, 1989.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic; Dangerous for the Environment; Dangerous for the Environment
R 23/24/25 40 48/23 52/53 59
S 23.2 36/37 45 59 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
113 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
11.78% (117850 ppm) at 20 C; 14.8% (148050 ppm) at 25 C (calculated)
4 (diethyl ether = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 21.4 ppm
1.5942 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.965 cp (20 C)
26.9 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4607 (20 C)
2.22 D (25 C)
2.3 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not store near alkaline substances.
D1A D2A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear polyvinyl chloride gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear polyvinyl chloride gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Aluminum, bromine trifluoride, calcium hypochlorite, dimethyl formamide, ethylene oxide, fluorine, lithium, magnesium, potassium, potassium-tert-butoxide, silver perchlorate, sodium, uranium, chlorine trifluoride, dinitrogen tetraoxide, methanol.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, phosgene, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Forms poisonous phosgene gas when exposed to open flames.
OSHA PEL: TWA 10 ppm C 25 ppm 200 ppm (5-minute maximum peak in any 4 hours) NIOSH REL: Ca ST 2 ppm (12.6 mg/m3) 60-minute See Appendix A NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 200 ppm
G-A2, I-2B, N-2, CP65
Chronic exposure to organic solvents has been associated with various neurotoxic effects including permanent brain and nervous system damage. Chronic ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute ingestion. May cause cancer according to animal studies. Chronic exposure may cause visual disturbances.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. May cause tremors and convulsions. May cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. Substance is a hepatotoxin and is capable of producing a toxic effect on the liver.
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause adverse central nervous system effects including headache, convulsions, and possible death. May cause heart disturbances, possibly leading to cardiac arrest and death. May cause liver abnormalities. May cause cardiac abnormalities.
May cause skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis.
May cause eye irritation. May cause temporary visual impairment.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.