- Burtonite v-40-e
Yellowish to colorless, coarse to fine powder; mucilaginous texture.
Emulsifier in food products, chocolate milk, toothpastes, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, protection colloid, stabilizing aid in ice cream (0.02%).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Natural Product
Swiss Giftliste 1
Solubility in water
1 g/100 ml @ about 80 C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location in a tightly sealed container.
Avoid contact and inhalation.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Wear appropriate NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator.
Wear protective equipment. Sweep up and place in a bag and hold for waste disposal. Avoid raising dust. Ventilate area. Wash spill site after pickup is complete.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. May cause irritation.
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
Foreign materials spilled on the skin may not represent a toxic or irritation hazard in small quantities, but may produce adverse effects if applied in large quantities or if used over a significant period of time. Whenever possible, foreign materials should be removed from the skin with simple washing. Should skin irritation or erythema occur, a patient may wish to seek medical assistance.
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.