Colorless to yellow liquid with a strong pungent odor.
Intermediate in raschig process for hydrazine.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
If you should spill this chemical, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Seal the absorbent paper, as well as any of your clothing which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash any surfaces you may have contaminated with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Sensitive to light, temperature and pH change Reacts with oxidizing materials.
Fires involving this chemical can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
Lethargy may develop in patients with significant pulmonary injury after chlorine or chloramine inhalation. Coma is a rare finding after severe ingestion or inhalation. Injecting sodium hypochlorite beyond the root apex during root canal procedures has caused block of the mental nerve.
Significant burns or strictures of the gastrointestinal tract are unusual following ingestion of household bleach. Vomiting is common after hypochlorite ingestions or inhalation of chlorine or chloramine gas. Hematemesis may develop after large ingestions.
Edema of the glottis as well as pulmonary edema may occur. Chloramine and chlorine gas inhalation result in coughing, choking, and dyspnea. Chemical pneumonitis, pulmonary edema and respiratory failure can occur following severe gas exposure. Mild exposures resolve with no therapy. Pneumomediastinum has been reported with chlorine gas inhalation.
Dermal irritation and hypersensitivity have been reported with chlorine active compounds. Small volumes of sodium hypochlorite injected iv have produced erythema at the site of injection.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Volatile chemicals have a high risk of being aspirated into the victim's lungs during vomiting which increases the medical problems. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.