- 4,7-Methanoinden, 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9-octachloro-3a,4,7,7a-tetrahydro
- Chlor Kil
Brown or amber very viscous liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Melting point, °C
1.68 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge, i.e. organic vapor/acid gas/HEPA (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas, SO2 and a high efficiency particulate filter).
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. Then, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Can react with strong oxidizing agents Attacks some forms of plastics, rubber and coatings
Fires involving this compound may be controlled using a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher. A water spray may also be used.
This chemical is combustible.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
0.5 mg/m3 TLV
Symptoms of exposure to this compound include blurred vision, confusion, ataxia, delirium, coughing, abdominal pain, nausea, irritability and anuria. Other symptoms may include nervousness, loss of coordination, unconsciousness and dry red skin. It may also cause neuroblastoma. It is moderately irritating to the skin and can cause deep depression and liver changes. Symptoms of acute poisoning with this type of compound include vomiting, diarrhea, paraesthesia, excitement, giddiness, fatigue, tremors, convulsions, coma, possibly pulmonary edema; liver, kidney and myocardial toxicity and hypothermia. Also, respiration may be accelerated initially and later depressed. Symptoms of chronic poisoning with this type of compound may include headache, loss of appetite, muscular weakness, fine tremors, apprehensive mental state, aplastic anemia and acute leukemia.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code