- Chlorine oxide
- Chlorine peroxide
- Chlorine(IV) oxide
- Chlorine dioxide, hydrate, frozen
Yellow to reddish-yellow gas at room temp. Unpleasant odor similar to chlorine and nitric acid.
Bleaching cellulose, flour, leather, oils, textiles, beeswax, purification of water, taste & odor control of water, cleaning and detanning leather, manufacture of chlorine salts, oxidizing agent, bactericide & antiseptic.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
88 (-29.6 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
0.000132 cp (294 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
Gas explodes via heat, electric spark, light, or contact with organics. Mixing with carbon dioxide and polyatomic gases increases safety. Can be handled safely when diluted with air to 8-12% chlorine dioxide.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep away from combustibles material. Avoid contact unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Flush area with flooding quantities of water. See assistance of a specialist.
Unstable in light; stable in dark if pure, but chlorides catalyze its decomposition even in dark. Solutions in pure water can be maintained for months in closed containers.
Avoide contact with carbon monoxide, hydrogen, mercury, non-metals, phosphorus pentachloride, potassium hydroxide and organic materials,. Reacts with water or steam to produce toxic and corrosive fumes of hydrochloric acid.
Lower exp. limit, %
Small Fires: Use water. Do not use dry chemicals or foams. carbon dioxide or Halon may provide limited control. Large Fires: Flood fire area with water from a distance.
Dangerous; powerful oxidizer. Concn above 10% can ignite @ 130 C. Oxidizable organic dusts can lower decomposition temperature.
May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Some will react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels).
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
OSHA PEL: TWA 0.1 ppm (0.3 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 0.1 ppm (0.3 mg/m3) ST 0.3 ppm (0.9 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 5 ppm
Rapid heart rate and rapid breathing are common. Severe exposure may cause cardiovascular collapse and respiratory arrest. Headache may develop. Agitation and anxiety may develop in patients with significant respiratory compromise. Chlorine (as hypochlorite) has been teratogenic in experimental animals. Mutations were detected using sperm morphology in mouse studies.
Vomiting may occur following initial exposure.
Feeling of burning and suffocation, coughing, choking, laryngeal edema hypoxia and, in high concentrations, syncope and almost immediate death may follow. Pulmonary edema is common after severe exposure.
Dermal exposure may cause erythema, pain, irritation, and cutaneous burns.
Green hair, dental enamel erosion, inflammation of the eye, and nasal and throat irritation may occur. Anosmia is reported.
Seek medical assistance.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
USCG CHRIS Code