Chloroacetic acid, molten
- Chloroacetic acid, solution
- Monochloroacetic acid
- Chloroethanoic acid
Colorless solution, odor of vinegar.
Chemical intermediate for pharmaceuticals such as Vitamin A, herbicide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 25 34 50
S 22 37 45 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide (A); Tumorigen (C); Mutagen (M)
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
56 - 57
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.25 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1000 ppm (0.1%) at 20 C (calculated)
1 (butyl acetate=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.15 mg/m3
1.4043 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
2.23 cp (65 C)
35.17 g/s2 at 100 C
1.4351 (55 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from metals. Keep away from reducing agents. Do not store in metal containers. Do not store near alkaline substances.
D1A - Poisonous and infections material - immediate and serious effect - Very toxic D2B - Poisonous and infections material - Other effects - Toxic E - Corrosive material
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. Cover with dry earth, dry sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading and contact with water.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizers, amines, alcohols, reducing agents, metals, and alkali.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Lower exp. limit, %
This material is extremely hazardous to health, but fire fighters may enter areas with extreme care. Full protective clothing including a self-contained breathing apparatus, coat, pants, gloves, boots and bands around legs, arms and waist should be provided. No skin surface should be exposed. Cool fire-exposed containers with water. Move container from fire area if you can do so without risk. Spray cooling water on containers that are exposed to flames until well after fire is out.Water fog applied gently to surface will cause frothing which will extinguish fire. Normal fire fighting procedures may be used. Extinguish fire using agent suitable for surroundings. Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty. For small fires use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or foam. For large fires use water spray, fog, or foam.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes of phosgene and chlorides. Water may cause frothing if it gets below surface of the liquid and turns to steam. Flammable/poisonous gases may accumulate in tanks and hopper cars. Some of these materials may ignite combustibles, e.g., wood, paper, oil. It is corrosive to metals. Avoid heating.
Toxic gases, such as hydrogen chloride, phosgene and carbon monoxide, may be generated.
PDK: 1 mg/m3 (USSR 1993).
May cause liver and kidney damage.
May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Causes severe digestive tract burns with abdominal pain, vomiting, and possible death. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. May cause liver and kidney damage. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. May cause pulmonary edema and severe respiratory disturbances. May cause kidney damage.
Contact with liquid is corrosive and causes severe burns and ulceration.
May cause irreversible eye injury. Contact with liquid is corrosive to the eyes and causes severe burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).