- Phenyl chloride
- Benzene chloride
Clear, colorless, volatile liquid, with a mild aromatic, sweet almond-like or mothball odor.
In the manufacture of phenol, aniline, DDT, as a solvent for paints, heat transfer medium.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
R 10 20 51/53
S 24/25 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
11 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
11600 ppm (1.16%) at 20 C; 15800 ppm (1.6%) at 25 C (calculated)
1.1 (butyl acetate = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.21 ppm
1.11 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
7.68 cp (20 C)
33 g/s2 at 25 C
1.5248 (20 C)
1.55 D (20 C)
5.6 (25 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
B2 D1B D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Water spray may reduce vapor but may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions.
Contact with oxidizing agents may cause fires and explosions. Reacts violently with dimethyl sulfoxide, silver perchlorate, powdered sodium and phosphorus trichloride + sodium.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam.
Very flammable. Reacts vigorously with oxidizers.
Vapors may form an explosive mixture with air. Vapors can travel to a source of ignition and flash back. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Flammable Liquid. Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas. Containers may explode when heated.
Burning in open flame can form toxic phosgene and hydrogen chloride gases.
TLV: 10 ppm; 46 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1996). MAK: 10 ppm; 50 mg/m3; (1995). OSHA PEL: TWA 75 ppm (350 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: See Appendix D NIOSH IDLH: 1000 ppm
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Repeated contact may result in skin burns.
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause hemolysis.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Exposure may cause bone marrow changes. Exposure may cause blood abnormalities
Causes skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis. Produces acneiform eruptions.
Contact produces irritation, tearing, and burning pain.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.