- Chlorodimethyl thioether
- Chloromethyl methyl sulfide
- Monochlorodimethyl sulfide
- Methyl chloromethyl sulfide
- Chloromethyl methyl thioether
Clear colorless to light yellow liquid. With a stench.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, irritant
R 11 36/37/38
S 16 23 26 36
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.7773 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.496 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from heat and flame. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Refrigerator/flammables.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective. Water may spread fire.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
May cause skin irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
May cause eye irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2930 90 70