- 2,4-Dinitrophenyl chloride
Yellow crystals. Almond odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
toxic, dangerous for the environment
R 23/24/25 33 50/53
S 28 36/37 45 60 61
Drug; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
52 - 54
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.2 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.6867 g/cm3 (16.5 C)
Solubility in water
45.5 g/s2 (60.4 C)
1.5857 (60 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not store near alkaline substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Explosive reaction with ammonia. Reacts violently with hydrazine sulfate and hydrazine hydrate. Incompatible with strong bases and oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Containers may explode when heated. Combustible material; may burn but does not ignite readily. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause sensitization dermatitis and possible destruction and/or ulceration. Prolonged exposure may cause anemia and methemoglobinemia, characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma).
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. May cause central nervous system effects.
May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. May cause cardiac abnormalities. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
May cause eye irritation and possible damage.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2904 90 85