- Trimethyltin chloride
- Trimethylstannyl chloride
- Stannane, chlorotrimethyl-
Alkyltin compounds have been explored for anthelmintic, fungicidal, and insecticidal activities. Also employed as antioxidants or corrosion inhibitors, water-repellant coatings, thermal or electric coatings, curing agents, etc. Alkyltin compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
very toxic, dangerous for the environment
R 26/27/28 50/53
S 26 27 28.1 45 60 61
Organometallic; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
51 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Wash clothing before reuse. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Oxidizing agents, moisture.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Combustible material; may burn but does not ignite readily. Vapors or dust may form explosive mixture with air. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of chlorides. Avoid decomposing heat.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of chlorides.
NIOSH TWA: 2 mg/m3 as Sn.
May cause liver and kidney damage. Effects may be delayed.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause central nervous system effects and/or neurological effects.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause liver and kidney damage. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause cardiac abnormalities. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
2931 00 95