- 3,7-Dimethyl-6-octenoic acid
Colorless liquid. Citrus-like odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Natural Product; Primary Irritant
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
0.9277 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.4517 (21 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, alkalis. Reaction with ozone produces an explosive product.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Containers may explode when heated. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Causes moderate skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Substance is rapidly absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.