- Cobalt tetracarbonyl
Orange to dark brown crystalline solid.
Catalyst for hydroformylation, hydrogenation, hydrosilation, isomerization, carboxylation, carbonylation, and polymerization reactions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, carcinogenic, sensitizing, harmful
R 17 40 43 48/20
S 23.2 36/37
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Sublimation point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1974 ppm (0.2%) at 25 C (calculated)
1.99 g/cm3 (23 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep away from water. Refrigerator/flammables. Keep containers tightly closed. Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Isolate area and deny entry. Place under an inert atmosphere. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Powder or liquid is pyrophoric.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, oxides of cobalt.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames.
When heated to decomposition, it emits carbon monoxide. Slowly attacked by hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid, more rapidly by nitric acid and bromine. Unstable, decomposes on exposure to air.
When heated to decompose it emits carbon monoxide.
TLV: ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 as Co (ACGIH 1993-1994). NIOSH REL: TWA 0.1 mg/m3
May cause kidney injury. Cobalt compounds may cause cancer based upon animal studies.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. May cause respiratory tract irritation. In rare instances, exposure may cause sensitization, resulting in inflammation of the mucous membranes and in eczematous eruptions.
May cause skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2931 00 95