- Naphthenic acids, cobalt salts
Brown powder or bluish-red solid.
Wood Preservative, Insecticide, Fungicide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
0.95 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protective gloves and clothing. Safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if in powder form.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers.
Toxic fumes are formed when this material is heated.
Solid streams of water may spread fire. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use dry chemical, graphite, or dry earth.
May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames. Some may burn rapidly with flare burning effect. Powders, dusts, shavings, borings, turnings or cuttings may explode or burn with explosive violence. Substance may be transported in a molten form. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as Co dust): ppm; 0.05 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1991-1992).
Cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, wheezing. Aerosol irritates the eyes and respiratory tract.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. Wash skin with soap and water.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.