Gray powder or pieces with no odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in tightly closed containers in a cool, dry place in a controlled environment.
Wear protective clothing to prevent contamination of skin and clothes. Use protective, neoprene gloves and safety glases.
Isolate the area where the spill occurred and insure that proper ventilation is available and that water/ moisture is kept out of the area. Vacuum up spill using a high efficiency unit and place in a container for proper disposal. Take care not to raise dust.
Use suitable extinguishing media for surrounding materials and type of fire. Firefighters must wear full face, self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Fumes from fire are hazardous.
OSHA PEL: 0.1 mg/m3 (as Co)
Cobalt has a low toxicity by ingestion. Ingestion of soluble salts produces nausea and vomiting by local irritation. In animals, administration of cobalt salts produces an increase in the total red cell mass of the blood. In humans, a single case of poisoning with liver and kidney damage has been attributed to cobalt. Locally, cobalt has been shown to produce dermatitis and investigators have been able to demonstrate a hypersensitivity of the skin to cobalt. There have been reports of hematologic, digestive and pulmonary changes in humans.
Acute cobalt poisoning may cause: diarrhea, lower blood pressure and body temperature.
May cause shortness of breath, coughing, weight loss and pulmonary damage. May cause diffuse nodular fibrosis and respiratory sensitivity. May cause coughing, shortness of breath and loss of weight.
May cause irritation. May cause allergic sensitization and dermatitis. May cause itching, irritation and inflammation.
May cause irritation and possibly damage the cornea. May cause redness, itching and watering
Give 1-2 glasses of milk or water. Induce vomiting, seek immediate medical attention. Never induce vomiting or give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
Remove to fresh air. Keep victim warm and quiet. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.
Remove any contaminated clothing, brush material off of skin, flush with running water and soap. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.
Flush with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower lids. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.