Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate
- Cobaltous chloride hexahydrate
pink-red monoclinic crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
carcinogenic, harmful, sensitizing, dangerous for the environment
R 49 22 42/43
S 22 53 45
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Cl2Co . 6 H2O
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
76 g/L (0 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat and flame. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizers and alkali metals. Absorbs NH3 from air. .
Hydrogen chloride, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, cobalt/cobalt oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
0.02 mg/m3 TLV
3 (Strong toxins)
Cobalt compounds may cause cancer based upon animal studies.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes delayed lung injury. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause asthmatic attacks due to allergic sensitization of the respiratory tract. May cause asthma and shortness of breath.
Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Causes eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2827 34 00