- Cobaltus chloride
- Cobalt muriate
- Cobalt dichloride
Pink to red solid with a slight sharp odor.
Invisible ink, humidity & water indicator, in hygrometers, temp indicator in grinding, in electroplating, for painting on glass & porcelain, prepn of catalysts, fertilizer & feed additive, as absorbent for military poison gas & ammonia, in manufacture of vitamin b12.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Harmful; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
31 (298 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.6795 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.11 cd (22 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Moisture - oxidizing agents - alkali metals.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Toxic cobalt oxide fumes may form in fire.
TLV (as Co): 0.02 mg/m3 (as TWA) A3 (ACGIH 1997).
Cobalt compounds may cause cancer based upon animal studies.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause asthmatic attacks due to allergic sensitization of the respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation. Chronic exposure may result in sensitization.
Causes eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code