Cobalt(II) fluoride tetrahydrate
- Cobaltous fluoride tetrahydrate
- Cobalt difluoride tetrahydrate
CoF2 : 4H2O
red orthorhombic crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
23/24/25 32 34
26 27 28 36/37/39 45
2.19 g/cm3 (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Store in a cool dry place.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing.
Wear appropriate government approved respirator.
Sweep up, place in a bag and hold for waste disposal. Avoid raising dust. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Material is heat and moisture sensitive.
Acids, glass, oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen fluoride, Cobalt/cobalt oxides.
Do NOT use water. Extinguish with carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder or appropriate foam. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions. Corrosive. Toxic.
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Target organs: liver, kidneys. Symptoms of fluoride overexposure may include salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, and labored breathing. Fluoride ion can reduce serum calcium levels possibly causing fatal hypocalcemia. Prolonged exposure to fluoride dusts, vapors, or mists results in perforation of the nasal septum. Chronic effects include excessive calcification of the bones, ligaments, and tendons. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath headache, nausea, and vomiting. Inhalation may result in spasm inflammation and edema of the larynxand bronchi, chemical pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.