- Cobalt black
- Cobalt(II) oxide
- Cobalt monooxide
- Cobalt monoxide
- Cobalt(2+) oxide
- Cobalt oxide
Olive green, red, gray or black, odorless powder.
In pigments for ceramics, glass coloring & decolorization, prepn of cobalt metal catalysts, oxidation catalyst for drying oils, fast drying paints & varnishes, cobalt powder for binder in sintered tungsten carbide, in semiconductors.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
6.1 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Kepp container tightly closed. Suitable for any general chemical storage area.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
None is normally required. If required, use a NIOSH/MSHA approved SCBA.
While wearing protective clothing, carefully sweep up and remove.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Specially prepared (the form prepared by reducing the oxides in hydrogen) very fine cobalt dust will catch fire at room temperature in air. Cobalt metal fume and dust
IDHL: 20 mg/m3
G-A3, I-2B, CP65
Nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, irritation.
Irritation of upper respiratory tract.
Irritation. Prolonged contact can cause sensitization.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.