Copper (II) hydroxide sulfate
- Basic copper sulfate
Odorless, green solid.
A fixed copper fungicide. Also micronutrient for plants.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Normal storage free from excess moisture. Flowable formulations store above freezing.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Stable in storage.
Solutions of sodium hypobromite are decomposed by powerful catalytic action of cupric ions, even as impurities.
Use method most appropriate to fight surrounding fire.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Ingestion may result in burns to the lips, tongue, oral mucosa, and upper airway. Alkaline eye exposures produce distortion of cellular membranes, loss of corneal, the mucous membrane that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and the exposed surface of the eyeballl and lens epithelium and loss of endothelium of the cornea and blood vessels.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothes. Irrigate exposed skin with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes or longer, depending on concentration, amount and duration of exposure to the chemical. A physician may need to examine the area if irritation or pain persist.
Home irrigation - exposed eyes should be irrigated with copious amounts of water for at least 30 minutes. An examination should always be performed. Ophthalmologic consultation should be obtained. Medical facility: irrigate with sterile 0.9% Saline for at least an hour or until the cul-de-sacs are free of particulate matter and returned to neutrality (confirm with pH paper).