- Cupric carbonate
- Carbonic acid, copper(2+) salt (1:1)
As seed treatment fungicide; in pyrotechnics; as paint and varnish pigment; in animal and poultry feeds; in sweetening of petrol sour crude stock; in manufacture of other copper salts.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location in a tightly sealed container.
Always work in a well- ventilated area. Wash hands before eating or smoking.
Avoid skin contact. Avoid breathing in dust. Wear rubber or PVC gloves, overalls, eye protection and a particulate mask.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
OSHA: PEL (8 h TWA): 1 mg/m3.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Copper carbonate is a moderately toxic chemical via ingestion. Affected areas are kidneys and nervous system. Symptoms are dizziness, gastric pain, vomiting, exhaustion, anaemia, convulsions, coma and death.
Copper carbonate is a moderately toxic chemical by inhalation. Affected areas are kidneys and nervous system. Symptoms are dizziness, gastric pain, vomiting, exhaustion, anaemia, convulsions, coma and death.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Copper carbonate can be irritating to the eyes.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.
I; II; III