- Copper (I) nitride
- Copper mononitride
- Cuprous nitride
- Tricopper nitride
Dark-green powder with a slight ammonia odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
5.84 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Neoprene gloves, safety goggles, protective work clothing.
NIOSH approved Dust, fume,mist cartridge respirator.
Wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing, isolate the area where the spill occurred. Insure proper ventilation is available and that water/moisture are kept out of out of the area. Vacuum up the spill using a high efficiency unit and place in a container for proper disposal. Take care not to raise dust.
When mixed with HNO3, the material explodes violently. Water/moisture, air.
Copper oxide fumes, ammonia, hydrogen.
DO NOT USE WATER!!!!! Use dry chemical, CO 2. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Hazard on contact with water.
OSHA PEL: 50 ppm (as NH); 1 mg/m3 (as Cu)
The details of the toxicity of nitrides as a group are unknown. However, many nitrides react with moisture to evolve ammonia. This gas is an irritant to mucous membranes. As the sublimed oxide, copper may be responsible for one form of metal fume fever. Inhalation of copper dust has caused, in animals, hemolysis of the red blood cells, deposition of hemofuscin in the liver and pancreas, and injury to thee lung cells. Injection of the dust has caused cirrhosis of the liver and pancreas, and a condition closely resembling hemochromatosis, or bronzed diabetes. However, considerable trial exposure to copper compounds has not resulted in such disease.
A respiratory irritant. Coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing and pulmonary edema possible. May cause irritation of the mucous membranes of the nose and throat.
Irritation, inflammation, redness possible. May cause dermatitis.
Irritation, watering, redness possible. Risk of serious injury.
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. Give 1-2 cups of milk or water and induce vomiting.
Remove to fresh air. Seek medical attention immediately. Give oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Wash skin with mild soap and water. Seek medical assistance as necessary, especially if irritation develops or persists.
Flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention.