- Copper chloride hydroxide
- Basic copper chloride
Green, orthorhombic crystals.
Bird repellent, fungicide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
3.76-3.78 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Use method most appropriate to fight surrounding fire.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove material from skin immediately. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.