- Cupric tungstate
- Copper(II) tungstate
- Copper tungsten oxide
- Tungstic acid (H2WO4), copper(2+) salt (1:1)
Odorless green powder.
Substance is used in semiconductors, nuclear reactors.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Impervious gloves, safety glasses and protective clothing.
Use suitable respirator when high concentrations are present.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing. Isolate the area where the spill occurred, insure proper ventilation is available. Vacuum up the spill using a high efficiency unit and place in a container for proper disposal. Take care not to raise dust.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Metal oxide fumes.
Use suitable extinguishing media for surrounding materials and type of fire. Firefighters must wear a full face, self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
OSHA PEL: 1 mg/m3 (as Cu), 0.1 mg/m3 (as Cu fume)
Copper compounds may be irritating to the skin, eyes and repiratory tract. They may cause metal fume fever, hemolysis of the red blood cells and injury to the liver, lungs, kidneys and pancreas. Ingestion may also cause vomiting, gastric pain, dizziness, anemia, cramps, convulsions, shock, coma and death. Copper solutions may cause sensitization reactions. Tungsten compounds are considered somewhat more toxic than those of molybdenum. However, industrially, this element does not constitute an important health hazard. Heavy exposure to the dust or the ingestion of large amounts of the soluble compounds produces changes in body weight, behavior, blood cells, choline esterase activity and sperm in experimental animals.
Insoluble tungsten compounds are considered toxicologically inert.
May act as a nuisance dust. Coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing may occur. Chronic exposure may cause pulmonary granulomas. May cause irritation of the mucous membranes of the nose and throat.
Mechanical irritation only. Chronic exposure may cause dermatitis and skin granulomas.
Mechanical irritation. Inflammation and redness possible.
Give 2 glasses of water. Induce vomiting if large amounts were ingested. Seek medical attention immediately.
Remove to fresh air; give oxygen if breathing is difficult. Seek medical attention immediately.
Brush material off skin, wash area with soap and water. Seek medical attention immediately.
Flush eyes with lukewarm water for 15 minutes and seek medical attention immediately.