- Cuprous chloride
White cubic crystals or crystalline, off-white powder. Odorless.
Used as a catalyst for organic reactions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
R 22 50/53
S 22 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
4.145 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
0.59 g/L (25 C)
10 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Do not store in metal containers. Do not expose to air. Store protected from moisture. Store protected from light. Store under an inert atmosphere. Material darkens on exposure to air.
Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation. Store protected from light. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Do not allow contact with water. Wash clothing before reuse. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Darkens on exposure to light and air.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, strong bases, potassium, lithium, heat.
Hydrogen chloride, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause liver and kidney damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause liver and kidney damage.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2827 39 80